Subject: socket-error

From: Joseph Kolibal <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2019 21:22:13 -0500

Package: x2goclient
Version: 4.1.0.3-0

l
When I invoke x2goclient it gives:
  socket-error, disconnected

in popup. No other message. All hosts are running ubuntu 16.04 with exactly
the software listed above. Am using MATE desktop, but even shell access
disconnects with the same error.

When I call x2goclient from a shell, I get these message dumped on the
screen:

 x2goclient
 x2go-INFO-1> "Starting X2Go Client 4.1.2.1..."
 x2go-WARNING-1> English language requested, not loading translator.
 x2go-WARNING-1> English language requested, not loading translator.
 Object::connect: No such slot ONMainWindow::slotCheckAgentProcess()
 x2go-INFO-3> "Started X2Go Client."
 x2go-INFO-8> "Starting connection to server: eos:22"
 x2go-ERROR-2> "Connection error: Cannot connect to eos:22: Socket error:
 disconnected" x2go-INFO-6> "Closing X2Go Client ..."
 x2go-INFO-7> "Finished X2Go Client closing hooks."

These are the Ubuntu 16.04 packages that are installed:
 libx2go-log-perl        4.1.0.3-0~1708~ubuntu16.04.1  all
 libx2go-server-db-perl  4.1.0.3-0~1708~ubuntu16.04.1  amd64
 libx2go-server-perl     4.1.0.3-0~1708~ubuntu16.04.1  all
 x2goclient              4.1.2.1-0~1788~ubuntu16.04.1  amd64
 x2goserver              4.1.0.3-0~1708~ubuntu16.04.1  amd64
 x2goserver-common       4.1.0.3-0~1708~ubuntu16.04.1  amd64
 x2goserver-extensions   4.1.0.3-0~1708~ubuntu16.04.1  all
 x2goserver-fmbindings   4.1.0.3-0~1708~ubuntu16.04.1  all
 x2goserver-printing     4.1.0.3-0~1708~ubuntu16.04.1  all
 x2goserver-x2goagent    4.1.0.3-0~1708~ubuntu16.04.1  amd64
 x2goserver-xsession     4.1.0.3-0~1708~ubuntu16.04.1  all
 libnx-x11-6:amd64       2:3.5.99.17-0~201811270304~ubuntu16.04.1  amd64
 nxagent                 2:3.5.99.17-0~201811270304~ubuntu16.04.1  amd64

The solution:

The solution was to remove the $HOME/.ssh/config file. I do not understand
why this caused a problem as the remote host (eos) had nothing listed in the
config file. It turns out that any Proxy, e.g., I had:

Host=werk
 HostName=werk
 ProxyCommand ssh math nc %h %p 2> /dev/null

causes a socket-error message.

Hope this helps other users.  It took me several months to find it.

In addition if the $HOME/.x2go directory does not exist on the remote
host, there is an error message that the .ssh files could not be created.

Thank you.

-- 

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
 Joseph Kolibal
 31 Sullivan Road
 Flemington, NJ 08822

 Contact information:
  Email:  [email-masked]
  Web:    http://kolibal.homeip.net/kolibal
  Phone:  908-483-5155  ☎
  Cell:   601-325-6500  ☎

Sent: From athena .- - .... . -. .-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>