Subject: Bug#1369: Keys do not release when using Emacs in X2GO Client

From: Yan Zhang <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2019 13:56:23 +0800

Package: x2goclient
Version: 4.1.2.0

I am using Emacs 24.5.1 with x2go client version 4.1.2.0 in Windows 10. My
server OS is Ubuntu 16.04 and the x2goserver comes from the PPA repo.

The problem happens if I hit "ctrl+space" to start mark region in Emacs and
then press down "ctrl+n" to scroll down the region for a few seconds.
Usually after I release "ctrl+n", Emacs will leave the currently marked
region for further commands. But in the reported version of client, Emacs
keeps scrolling down until it reaches the end of the file. There is no way
to stop it within Emacs (e.g., "ctrl+g").

I have tried to move the cursor by keeping "ctrl+n" pressed down. This
issue does not happen after I release the key.

This issue happens when the session type is either "XFCE" or "published
application". I have not tested other session types as I do not have an
environment for that. And client version 4.1.1.1 does not seem to have this
issue.

Thanks and regards,
Yan

---

From: Ulrich Sibiller <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2019 13:28:45 +0100

On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 12:38 PM Yan Zhang <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Package: x2goclient
> Version: 4.1.2.0
>
> I am using Emacs 24.5.1 with x2go client version 4.1.2.0 in Windows 10. My server OS is Ubuntu 16.04 and the x2goserver comes from the PPA repo.
>
> The problem happens if I hit "ctrl+space" to start mark region in Emacs and then press down "ctrl+n" to scroll down the region for a few seconds. Usually after I release "ctrl+n", Emacs will leave the currently marked region for further commands. But in the reported version of client, Emacs keeps scrolling down until it reaches the end of the file. There is no way to stop it within Emacs (e.g., "ctrl+g").
>
> I have tried to move the cursor by keeping "ctrl+n" pressed down. This issue does not happen after I release the key.

I do not get the difference between this and the description above.
Please explain!

> This issue happens when the session type is either "XFCE" or "published application". I have not tested other session types as I do not have an environment for that. And client version 4.1.1.1 does not seem to have this issue.

Please run "xev -event keyboard" inside the session and check if you
see all the KeyPress and KeyRelease events for you keys. If anyone is
missing this could explain your issue.

Uli

---

From: Yan Zhang <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2019 16:09:51 +0800

Hi Ulrich,

On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 8:29 PM Ulrich Sibiller <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> > I am using Emacs 24.5.1 with x2go client version 4.1.2.0 in Windows 10.
> My server OS is Ubuntu 16.04 and the x2goserver comes from the PPA repo.
> >
> > The problem happens if I hit "ctrl+space" to start mark region in Emacs
> and then press down "ctrl+n" to scroll down the region for a few seconds.
The difference is whether I start mark region (by hitting "ctrl+space")
before moving cursor. The client will only stuck if I first start mark
region and then hold cursor-moving keys like "ctrl+n" or "ctrl+p" for a few
seconds.

> missing this could explain your issue.

 I tried "xev -event keyboard" in a XFCE session and did not observe any
missing keystrokes.

Thanks and regards,
Yan

---

From: Ulrich Sibiller <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2019 10:04:36 +0100

>> > I am using Emacs 24.5.1 with x2go client version 4.1.2.0 in Windows 10. My server OS is Ubuntu 16.04 and the x2goserver comes from the PPA repo.

You could try updating your nx-libs to nightly and retry:
https://sunweavers.net/blog/node/20

> The difference is whether I start mark region (by hitting "ctrl+space") before moving cursor. The client will only stuck if I first start mark region and then hold cursor-moving keys like "ctrl+n" or "ctrl+p" for a few seconds.

Ok, understood. But still not replicable for me.

>  I tried "xev -event keyboard" in a XFCE session and did not observe any missing keystrokes.

Nor did I. So maybe this is bug in emacs. I tested with 24.3.1, can
you downgrade?

Uli

---

From: Bob Harold <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2019 21:50:46 -0400

On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 5:17 AM Ulrich Sibiller <[email-masked]> wrote:

> >> > I am using Emacs 24.5.1 with x2go client version 4.1.2.0 in Windows
> 10. My server OS is Ubuntu 16.04 and the x2goserver comes from the PPA repo.
>

Just a thought - there is some lag in the screen updates from the remote
host when using a protocol like x2.  It is possible that holding the keys
for a few seconds, with auto-repeat, has buffered enough copies of the
keystroke to scroll the file all the way to the end, even after you let
go.  Is that possible?

-- 
Bob Harold

---

From: Ulrich Sibiller <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2019 07:50:49 +0100

You mean NX, I guess, not X2 (there's no such protocol). However: I am
using NX over two chained WANs without such problems. For some time I even
used it for working on machines on the other side of the Atlantic ocean -
and it worked flawlessly.

@Yan: you could try setting the connection type to ADSL or even ISDN and
retry.

Uli

---

From: Михайло Падалка <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2019 11:42:26 +0200

Well, just for note, from time to time I observe similar behavior even
without NX - when switching between apps with Alt-TAB - TAB key is
occasionally not released.
Looks like some bug either in kernel, or in Xorg, not sure where exactly.

Чт, 14 бер. 2019, 08:56 користувач Ulrich Sibiller <[email-masked]> пише:

>>> > The difference is whether I start mark region (by hitting
>>> "ctrl+space") before moving cursor. The client will only stuck if I first
>>> start mark region and then hold cursor-moving keys like "ctrl+n" or
>>> "ctrl+p" for a few seconds.
>>>
> _______________________________________________
> x2go-dev mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://lists.x2go.org/listinfo/x2go-dev

---

From: Yan Zhang <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2019 19:59:59 +0800

Hi Uli,

I found a temporary solution. If I disable the transient mark mode, under
which the selected region is highlighted, this issue goes away. So I guess
the issue is related to events generated by rendering the highlighted
region. And one thing I forgot to mention is that if I start emacs without
GUI (i.e., emacs -nw), I do not have this issue.

On the other hand, I have tried to use ADSL/ISDN, change my emacs version
to both 26.1 and 24.3.1, and upgrade NX to the nightly build. None of these
has any effect.

Thanks and regards,
Yan

-- 
Yan

---

From: Ulrich Sibiller <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2019 23:53:45 +0100

On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 1:00 PM Yan Zhang <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I found a temporary solution. If I disable the transient mark mode, under which the selected region is highlighted, this issue goes away. So I guess the issue is related to events generated by rendering the highlighted region. And one thing I forgot to mention is that if I start emacs without GUI (i.e., emacs -nw), I do not have this issue.

So this indicates that it probalby is connected to drawing. If this
happens via images for some reason it might explain the problem.

Please perform this test for me: Edit /etc/x2go/agent.options on the
server and ensure that the following line is active (no leading '#'):

X2GO_NXAGENT_DEFAULT_OPTIONS+=" -extension GLX"

Then start a new session (with transient mark mode enabled) and retry.
Is that working better?

Uli

---

From: Yan Zhang <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2019 10:16:42 +0800

Hi Uli,

Sorry for the slow reply. For my XFCE sessions, turning on "-extension GLX"
seems to solve the problem. But under "published applications" mode, the
issue is still there.

Thanks and regards,
Yan

On Sat, Mar 16, 2019 at 6:54 AM Ulrich Sibiller <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > I found a temporary solution. If I disable the transient mark mode,
> under which the selected region is highlighted, this issue goes away. So I
> guess the issue is related to events generated by rendering the highlighted

-- 
Yan

---

From: AISHA GADDAFI <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 May 2020 03:29:07 -0700

-- 
Lieber Freund (Assalamu Alaikum),

Ich bin vor einer privaten Suche auf Ihren E-Mail-Kontakt gestoßen
Ihre Hilfe. Mein Name ist Aisha Al-Qaddafi, eine alleinerziehende
Mutter und eine Witwe
mit drei Kindern. Ich bin die einzige leibliche Tochter des Spätlibyschen
Präsident (verstorbener Oberst Muammar Gaddafi).

Ich habe Investmentfonds im Wert von siebenundzwanzig Millionen
fünfhunderttausend
United State Dollar ($ 27.500.000.00) und ich brauche eine
vertrauenswürdige Investition
Manager / Partner aufgrund meines aktuellen Flüchtlingsstatus bin ich jedoch
Möglicherweise interessieren Sie sich für die Unterstützung von
Investitionsprojekten in Ihrem Land
Von dort aus können wir in naher Zukunft Geschäftsbeziehungen aufbauen.

Ich bin bereit, mit Ihnen über das Verhältnis zwischen Investition und
Unternehmensgewinn zu verhandeln
Basis für die zukünftige Investition Gewinne zu erzielen.

Wenn Sie bereit sind, dieses Projekt in meinem Namen zu bearbeiten,
antworten Sie bitte dringend
Damit ich Ihnen mehr Informationen über die Investmentfonds geben kann.

Ihre dringende Antwort wird geschätzt. schreibe mir an diese email adresse (
[email-masked] ) zur weiteren Diskussion.

Freundliche Grüße
Frau Aisha Al-Qaddafi

---

From: security office <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2020 21:00:02 -0700

Hello,

Certain amount of money has been here ( Global Security services
Company ) a trunk box addressed to a client for some years now and I
have made my findings, only to discover that the real owner is late.

Can you help us {me and my colleagues} here to receive it as we are
ready to change everything on it in your name as the original owner

and we share it in the ratio of 50/50. Meaning 50% to you and the
balance of 50% to me here.

Waiting desperately for your reply.

Yours Faithfully,

Mrs. Sandra Dewi

Email  [email-masked]

---

From: Emin Martinian <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2020 10:36:24 -0400

Any update on this? Is it related to the following bug on Ubuntu for
repeating keys:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/995819/touchpad-gestures-and-holding-keys-does-not-work

Thanks.

---

From: "Andreas Ehliar - Emacs related" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2021 16:41:10 +0000

I may have found a hint of the root cause of this bug (tested with emacs 27.1).
I believe that it is related to clipboard updating. If I disable clipboard updating from emacs the stuck key behavior goes away.
Note that for every line that we widen the selection in emacs the clipboard is automatically updated. (I proved this by repeatedly pressing ctrl-v in notepadwhile emacs exhibited the stuck key behavior and each time the pasted text grew.)
If it turns out that emacs and/or x2go prioritizes clipboard updates before key-up events we may end up in a race where the clipboard takes longer to update than it takes emacs to scroll the cursor one line and enlarge the clipboard even further.
To play around with this you can redefine the gui-set-selection function as a nop in emacs to disable the updating. (This is not a workaround though since it completely disables copying from an emacs window. A better work-around may be to add some sort of rate-limit to this function but I haven't played around with that yet.)
(defun gui-set-selection (type data))
/Andreas

---

From: karen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2021 21:05:52 -1200

ПРИВІТ ЛЮБА, ЯК ПОЖИВАЄШ?
Я КАРЕН, Я ХОЧУ БУТИ ТВОМ ДРУГОМ, БУДЬ ЛАСКА, ВІДПОВІДІТЬ МНЕ, ДЯКУЮ ..

---

From: "Kruis, Anselm" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 May 2021 16:49:44 +0000

Hi,

I observed the bug described in this thread and did some experiments with Uli Sibiller.

Client: 
- Windows 10 Enterprise, Version 1909
- X2GoClient V. 4.1.2.2
Additional X-Servers on Client
- VcXsrv 1.20.6.0
- VcXsrv 1.20.9.0
- MobaXterm 21.1.0.4628

Server:
- Centos 7
- nxagent-3.5.99.26-1.el7.x86_64  (and also an experimental version nx-3.5.99-sc36clipboard3)
- x2goserver-4.1.0.3-9.el7.x86_64
- x2goagent-4.1.0.3-9.el7.x86_64
- x2goserver-common-4.1.0.3-9.el7.noarch
- x2goserver-xsession-4.1.0.3-9.el7.noarch

X2go Session: application, terminal emulator (konsole), X-server with option -multiwindow

We tried various combinations of parameters and program versions. Findings:

- The problem only occurs with VcXserv (all versions, the one integrated in X2GoClient as well as two stand alone versions). With the X-server provided by MobaXterm (%USERPROFILE%\Documents\MobaXterm\slash\bin\XWin_MobaX.exe) everything in fine.

- The problem depends on the following VcXserv  command line options:
   + option "-r": it turns of keyboard auto-repeat. If auto-repeat is off, the problem does not occur
   + option "-clipboard": without this option, the problem does not occur
   + option "-noprimary": with this option, the problem does not occur

So adding "-noprimary" to the VcXserv options or using XWin_MobaX.exe seems to be the way to go for now.

Regards
  Anselm

--
Anselm Kruis
Senior Solution Architect
MSE OPS HPCS S PS
T +49-89-35 63 86-874
M +49-16 05 82 82 00
[email-masked]
science + computing ag
Ingolstädter Str. 22
80807 München, Germany
atos.net/de/deutschland/sc

science + computing AG; Vorstand: Dr. Martin Matzke (Vorsitzender), Sabine Hohenstein, matthias Schempp; Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Philippe Robert Jonas Miltin; Sitz der Gesellschaft: Tübingen; Registergericht: Amtsgericht Stuttgart, HRB 382196.

---

From: Norm Green <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2023 07:56:00 -0800

I also hit this problem in x2go 4.1.2.2.  emacs version on Linux is 26.3 
but I doubt that matters.

What I did to get past it is run x2goclient.debug.exe instead of 
x2goclient.exe on the windows side.

Norm Green

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2026 12:10:20 -0000

On Mon, 3 May 2021 16:49:44 +0000 "Kruis, Anselm" <[email-masked]>
wrote: 
> - The problem only occurs with VcXserv (all versions, the one integrated
in X2GoClient as well as two stand alone versions). With the X-server
provided by MobaXterm
(%USERPROFILE%\Documents\MobaXterm\slash\bin\XWin_MobaX.exe) everything in
fine.

> science + computing AG; Vorstand: Dr. Martin Matzke (Vorsitzender), Sabine
Hohenstein, matthias Schempp; Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Philippe
Robert Jonas Miltin; Sitz der Gesellschaft: Tübingen; Registergericht:
Amtsgericht Stuttgart, HRB 382196.

It would be useful to known how to implement “adding "-noprimary" to the
VcXserv options” since when I attempted to add “-noprimary” to the vcserv
serve custom command line under X2Go->Settings when I restart x2go it now
_immediately_ crashes with “can’t start x.org.server” making my x2go setup
completely useless

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2026 12:28:08 -0000

I was unable to do this problem by changing Win11 registry entry
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Obviously Nice\x2goclient\settings\useintx
(use internal X) from false back to true. 

I did not have xcXsrv installed which is why it couldn't find an X11
program. 

A fix would be not to fall x2goclient over but to allow one to amend
Settings/X.Org Server settings

I will explore more as to implement fix the repeating keys probels

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2026 19:51:55 +0100

I realised I can just set the external X server to be the vcxsrv that ships
with x2go client, and then use the ‘-noprimary’ flag (in addition to any
other defined flags e.g. I have

From: [email-masked] <[email-masked]> 
Sent: 18 January 2026 12:10
To: [email-masked]' <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Keys do not release when using Emacs in X2GO Client

> [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>  
> science + computing ag 
> Ingolstädter Str. 22 
> 80807 München, Germany