Subject: MATE-Theming fails for x2gothinclient-minidesktop when installed on Debian Stretch

From: Stefan Baur <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2019 01:57:34 +0100

package: x2gothinclient-minidesktop

This package contains a file
"/usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/19_x2gothinclient-minidesktop.gschema.override",
however, according to Mike#1/sunweaver, the themes listed in there are
the wrong ones for a GTK-3 based MATE, thus theming fails, which results
in the Start button displaying the Gnome Foot instead of the MATE logo.

On Debian Jessie (oldstable), MATE is based on GTK-2, and thus it works
fine there.  However, it needs to be changed for Debian Stretch.

Kind Regards,
Stefan Baur

-- 
BAUR-ITCS UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
Geschäftsführer: Stefan Baur
Eichenäckerweg 10, 89081 Ulm | Registergericht Ulm, HRB 724364
Fon/Fax 0731 40 34 66-36/-35 | USt-IdNr.: DE268653243

---

From: Mike Gabriel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2019 12:52:44 +0000

Hi Stefan,

> fine there.  However, it needs to be changed for Debian Stretch.

Fix has been just pushed to Git. Can you please check, if it also  
works on jessie? (It should, but double checking would be nice.  
Thanks!).

Mike
-- 

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM
mike gabriel, herweg 7, 24357 fleckeby
mobile: +49 (1520) 1976 148
landline: +49 (4354) 8390 139

GnuPG Fingerprint: 9BFB AEE8 6C0A A5FF BF22  0782 9AF4 6B30 2577 1B31
mail: [email-masked], http://das-netzwerkteam.de

---

From: Stefan Baur <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2019 14:03:28 +0100

Am 18.01.19 um 13:52 schrieb Mike Gabriel:

> Fix has been just pushed to Git. Can you please check, if it also works
> on jessie? (It should, but double checking would be nice. Thanks!).

On Jessie, it always worked - so do you want me to make sure your patch
didn't cause a regression?

Also, is it in heuler only or did you push a release? Just so I know
which repo to pick. :-)

-Stefan

---

From: Mike Gabriel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2019 14:05:06 +0000

Hi,

> didn't cause a regression?

Yes, please do the regression test on jessie. On stretch, my fix  
should work, as I use that config set on other stretch systems, too.

> Also, is it in heuler only or did you push a release? Just so I know

heuler only, for now. (Mihai is master of releases).

Mike
-- 

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM

---

From: Stefan Baur <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2019 17:04:14 +0100

Am 18.01.19 um 15:05 schrieb Mike Gabriel:
> Yes, please do the regression test on jessie. On stretch, my fix should
> work, as I use that config set on other stretch systems, too.

I can confirm that a theme gets properly applied on both jessie and
stretch now.  Both show the MATE start button.  The window decorations
and the taskbar color scheme (green for active app, greenish tint on
mouseover when minimized) are different compared to the previous
standard theme.  I've attached two screenshots from stretch showing the
effect; on jessie, it is the same.

However, I think this change is acceptable.  At least, we're not showing
the dreaded Gnome Foot any more, and are consistent across releases.

@Mihai: As it stands, we have upcoming changes for
x2gothinclient-minidesktop (this one)
x2gothinclient-usbmount
x2gothinclient-common [1]
Would it make more sense to release them as a bundle?
Or should we release them one at a time?

[1] There's a race condition in TCE-MMD-Live regarding the session
configuration file; I hope to have a fix ready either later today or
tomorrow.

Kind Regards,
Stefan Baur

---

From: Mike Gabriel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2019 11:54:14 +0000

Hi,

> Or should we release them one at a time?

all bin:pkg come from the x2gothinclient src:pkg. So releasing  
separately is not "possible".

Mike
-- 

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM

---

From: Stefan Baur <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2019 13:02:21 +0100

> separately is not "possible".

Still, we could do three single releases, each with the fix for one of
the three binary packages mentioned, or we could wait until we have all
three issues fixed and do one release.

I have a gut feeling that doing one release with all three fixes is
better, but maybe someone has a good argument for doing separate ones,
like it simplifying testing?

-Stefan