Subject: Bug#1344 closed by Mike Gabriel <[email-masked]> (Re: [X2Go-Dev] Bug#1344: Versioning in the launchpad ppa)

From: [email-masked] (X2Go Bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2018 15:00:03 +0000

This is an automatic notification regarding your Bug report
which was filed against the launchpad.net package:

#1344: Versioning in the launchpad ppa

It has been closed by Mike Gabriel <[email-masked]>.

Their explanation is attached below along with your original report.
If this explanation is unsatisfactory and you have not received a
better one in a separate message then please contact Mike Gabriel <[email-masked]> by
replying to this email.

-- 
1344: http://bugs.x2go.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1344
X2Go Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: [X2Go-Dev] Bug#1344: Versioning in the launchpad ppa
From: Mike Gabriel <[email-masked]>
To: Jens Reyer <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2018 14:59:34 +0000

Control: close -1
Control: tags -1 not-a-bug

Hi Jens,

On  Mo 19 Nov 2018 14:26:41 CET, Jens Reyer wrote:

> $ cat /etc/apt/preferences.d/x2go-ppa
> Package: *
> Pin: release o=LP-PPA-x2go
> Pin-Priority: 1010

This is exactly the way to do it.

Closing this bug as a not-a-bug report.

Thanks+Greets!
Mike
-- 

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM
mike gabriel, herweg 7, 24357 fleckeby
mobile: +49 (1520) 1976 148
landline: +49 (4354) 8390 139

GnuPG Fingerprint: 9BFB AEE8 6C0A A5FF BF22  0782 9AF4 6B30 2577 1B31
mail: [email-masked], http://das-netzwerkteam.de

Subject: Versioning in the launchpad ppa
From: Jens Reyer <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2018 14:26:41 +0100

Package: launchpad.net

Hi,

the version of e.g. nx-libs in the X2Go nightly PPA at
https://launchpad.net/~x2go is technically lower than the one in the
official Ubuntu Bionic (18.04) archive:

$ dpkg --compare-versions 2:3.5.99.16-0~201811100633~ubuntu18.04.1 gt
2:3.5.99.16-1 && echo "ppa version is bigger" || echo "ppa version is
smaller"
ppa version is smaller

This would be correct if they had the same "upstream" content, so that
the official package has precedence over the PPA one. However I assume
that the nightly PPA ships newer "upstream" functionality. You may
reflect this by changing the versioning to something like this
(increase the upstream versioning part before the Debian revision -0):

2:3.5.99.16+201811100633-0~ubuntu18.04.1

$ dpkg --compare-versions 2:3.5.99.16+201811100633-0~ubuntu18.04.1 gt
2:3.5.99.16-1 && echo "ppa version is bigger" || echo "ppa version is
smaller"
ppa version is bigger

Otherwise I have to "downgrade" the packages, in order to use the
nightly builds instead of the older official Ubuntu bionic ones. For
this to work I currently use apt pinning:

$ cat /etc/apt/preferences.d/x2go-ppa
Package: *
Pin: release o=LP-PPA-x2go
Pin-Priority: 1010

Thanks
jre