Subject: Bug#1341: FreeRDP not working in x2go, requires BIG-REQUESTS extension

From: Jens Reyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2018 13:47:01 +0100

Package: x2goserver-x2goagent
Version: 4.1.0.2-0~1642~ubuntu1

Hi,

freerdp (freerdp and freerdp2) doesn't work with current default x2go:

~~~~~
$ xfreerdp /size:1700x1000 /u:USER /p:PASS /v:192.168.50.142 /cert-ignore
connected to 192.168.50.142:3389
X Error of failed request:  BadLength (poly request too large or
internal Xlib length error)
  Major opcode of failed request:  18 (X_ChangeProperty)
  Serial number of failed request:  41
  Current serial number in output stream:  45
~~~~~

The bug report for FreeRDP
(https://github.com/FreeRDP/FreeRDP/issues/4920) came to the
conclusion that it requires the BIG-REQUESTS extension, which is
disabled in x2go.  Indeed removing these lines in
/etc/x2go/x2goagent.options fixes the issue:

~~~~~
# Disable BIG-REQUESTS, nx-libs does not implement this extension correctly.
# Leads to all sorts of weird crashes if left enabled.
X2GO_NXAGENT_DEFAULT_OPTIONS+=" -extension BIG-REQUESTS"
~~~~~

I'm using this for a day now without "weird crashes", but still assume
it's probably not the best idea.

Greets
jre

x2go client:

Linux Mint 19 Tara amd64
ii  x2goclient           4.1.1.1-2                       amd64

x2go server:

Linux Mint 19 Tara amd64
x2goserver from http://ppa.launchpad.net/x2go/stable/ubuntu

ii  freerdp-x11          1.1.0~git20140921.1.440916e+dfs amd64 OR
ii  freerdp2-x11         2.0.0~git201                    amd64
ii  nxagent              2:3.5.99.16-                    amd64
ii  x2goserver           4.1.0.2-0~16                    amd64
ii  x2goserver-x2goagent 4.1.0.2-0~16                    amd64
un  x2goserver-xsession  <keine>                         <keine>

---

From: Ulrich Sibiller <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2018 22:27:24 +0100

> it's probably not the best idea.

I recommend to update to the current nightly build of the nxagent
package. I have added a patch that greatly improves the BIG-REQUESTs
code. Apps like Visual Studio Code and Atom are now working. You can
find information about the nightlies at
https://sunweavers.net/blog/node/20

Uli

---

From: Stefan Baur <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2018 16:37:19 +0100

> https://sunweavers.net/blog/node/20

Have you added yet another patch since last weekend, or is that the one
that was added to X2Go's nightly repositories last weekend?

Because if the latter, there's no need to switch to the arctica repo,
using X2Go's heuler repo will be sufficient.

Kind Regards,
Stefan Baur

-- 
BAUR-ITCS UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
Geschäftsführer: Stefan Baur
Eichenäckerweg 10, 89081 Ulm | Registergericht Ulm, HRB 724364
Fon/Fax 0731 40 34 66-36/-35 | USt-IdNr.: DE268653243

---

From: Ulrich Sibiller <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2018 18:34:59 +0100

> that was added to X2Go's nightly repositories last weekend?

I don't know about the X2Go repos. I know that it is in Arctica
Nightly and that it got merged on 2018-10-22.

Uli

---

From: Stefan Baur <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2018 18:38:48 +0100

> Nightly and that it got merged on 2018-10-22.

Mihai updated the nx-libs in X2Go heuler to what's in the Arctica repo
last weekend - Friday or Saturday night, I believe.

-Stefan

---

From: Jens Reyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2018 14:54:19 +0100

> last weekend - Friday or Saturday night, I believe.

Thanks, for now I switched a testing server to the nightlies from
http://ppa.launchpad.net/x2go/ppa/ubuntu.
I still had to comment out the disabling of the BIG-REQUESTS extension.
Further for Mint Tara/Ubuntu bionic this requires to "downgrade" the x2go
packages, see #1344.

Besides that, everything is fine now.

Greets
jre