Subject: Can't start X Server, please check your installation

From: LANNES Pierre-Yves <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2018 23:20:28 +0100

Package: x2goclient
Version: 4.1.0.0

Platform: Windows 7

This message appears when I'm trying to connect to my server, and kills
x2go:
"Can't start X Server, please check your installation"

Never had this issue before, everything was working fine.

Went to the bugs site and only found bug #503.

I uninstalled X2goclient and manually removed the registry leftovers (by
the way, a "clean" uninstall should ALWAYS be available)

Re-downloaded the installer, fresh install, problem still there.

I saw the #109 bug, and checked: useintx is true

---
L'absence de virus dans ce courrier électronique a été vérifiée par le logiciel antivirus Avast.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

---

From: Mihai Moldovan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2018 16:25:41 +0100

> the way, a "clean" uninstall should ALWAYS be available)

Might be useful feature for the NSIS package, if that's possible, agree'd, but
not for this report.

> I saw the #109 bug, and checked: useintx is true

Might also be caused by something in your user home directory.

What happens if you try to connect in a new user context?

Mihai

---

From: LANNES Pierre-Yves <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2018 20:19:54 +0100

> What happens if you try to connect in a new user context?

I created a test user, a new x2goclient session and tried to connect.
Same message: "Can't start X.Org server, please check your installation".

It seems like SSH connects (according to the auth.log), but nothing
happens next (at least in the auth log), and the session is closed
almost immediately...

---

---

From: LANNES Pierre-Yves <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2018 20:19:47 +0100

A bit more info...

First, I can now confirm that this bug occurs systematically, regardless
of any connection attempt.
I just had to start X2go client and wait for the error to pop up.

Second, I have tried to use a recent vcxsrv.exe (installed separately),
as the X2go built-in is 1.17.0.0-3". I tried with version 1.19.5.2".
No change noticed.

Hope that helps...

---