Subject: Re: [X2Go-Dev] x2goclient for Mac OS immediately throws error regarding "PulseAudio verison number" then crashes

From: Mihai Moldovan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2017 06:25:20 +0200

On 10/26/2017 02:15 AM, Sean Hooten wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 7:59 PM, Mihai Moldovan <[email-masked]
> <mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
> 
>     What does /Applications/x2goclient.app/Contents/exe/pulseaudio --version
>     2>/dev/null output? Currently I suspect that it crashes on your box.
> 
> 
> I get no output from that command.
> 
> Okay, but I discovered something interesting. The command seems to return the
> PulseAudio version number when I run with sudo, i.e.:
> sudo /Applications/x2goclient.app/Contents/exe/pulseaudio --version 2>/dev/null
> 
> I get output:
> pulseaudio 10.0-rebootstrapped

That's the normal output... how odd!

> I also tried logging into my other administrator account, and x2goclient seems
> to work fine on that account. So for whatever reason it seems that the
> permissions on my regular user account are mesed up... I'm not sure what do to
> about this, I might need to restore to a backup. But at least for the time being
> I can use the client.

I'd still like to know what is messed up, though.

As the normal user for which pulseaudio --version doesn't work, can you try
spawning sudo dtruss -f sudo -u $USER
/Applications/x2goclient.app/Contents/exe/pulseaudio --version

Yeah, I know this looks weird since we need to use sudo twice, but dtruss is
only working with elevated privileges, but since root is able to execute PA
--version just fine, we need to switch back to your other user account...

Mihai