Subject: Bug#1221: Server Side PulseAudio Server and compression of audio data

From: Oleksandr Shneyder <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2017 10:36:38 +0200

Package: x2goserver
Severity: wishlist

currently X2Go Client starts PulseAudio on the client side to play
sound. The PA clients on the server sending data through SSH tunnel to
PA server on X2Go Client. This scenario has two big disadvantages:

1. We need to provide PA Server with X2Go Client on Windows and Mac OS.
2. PA clients sending data in raw format (uncompressed). This costs a
lot of bandwidth and make playing sound on slow Internet connections
almost impossible.

The idea is to use mediastreamer2 + ortp libraries to deal with data
compression and audio hardware on the client side:

http://www.linphone.org/technical-corner/mediastreamer2/overview

we'll also need to create a PA backend for mediatreamer2 on the server
side.

best regards
Alex
-- 
-----------------------------------------------------------
Oleksandr Shneyder        | Email: [email-masked]
phoca GmbH                | Tel. : 0911 - 14870374 0
Harzstr. 4                | Fax. : 0911 - 14870374 9
D-90491 Nürnberg          | Mobil: 0163 - 49 64 461

Geschäftsführung:
Dipl.-Inf. Oleksandr Shneyder

Amtsgericht München | http://www.phoca-gmbh.de
HRB 196 658         | http://www.x2go.org
USt-IdNr.: DE281977973
-----------------------------------------------------------