Subject: Bug#1182: nxagent 3.6 and KDE4 causes X2Go Client for Windows's session window to "jump" up and down

From: Mike DePaulo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 May 2017 12:15:06 -0400

Package: x2goclient
Version: 4.1.0.0

Note: It is unclear whether this is a bug in nx-libs or x2goclient/VcXsrv

Note: This bug does not occur with nxagent 3.5 (& x2goserver 4.0.1.20-1.el7
from EPEL)

Note: This bug does not occur for Linux clients.

Steps:
1. Start a KDE4 session in windowed mode.
2. Maximize the session.
3. Observe that the session window "jumps" up and down by tens of pixels.
This happens repeatedly and very quickly. It has the appearance of it
flickering almost. It makes it largely unusable.

Note: This seems to go away on its own after seconds on my Windows 10
client, but it lasted indefinitely on my Windows 7 client.

Server: CentOS 7.3 with KDE4 & x2goserver 4.1.0.0 nightly & nx-libs
3.5.99.7 (from copr repo mikedep333/nx-libs-3.6)
Client 1: Windows 7 x64 SP1 with X2Go Client 4.1.0.0-2017.03.11
Client 2 Configuration 1: Windows 10 1703 x64 with X2Go Client
4.1.0.0-2017.03.11 (This has nx-libs 3.5.0.32)
Client 2 Configuration 2: Windows 10 1703 x64 with X2Go Client
4.1.0.0-2017.03.11 & VcXsrv 1.19.2.0 (I replaced the VcXsrv subfolder)
 (This has nx-libs 3.5.0.32)

---

From: Ulrich Sibiller <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2017 10:29:56 +0200

Can you please post the corresponding logfile of x2goagent/nxagent on
the server?

Uli

On Sat, May 27, 2017 at 6:15 PM, Mike DePaulo <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Server: CentOS 7.3 with KDE4 & x2goserver 4.1.0.0 nightly & nx-libs 3.5.99.7
> (from copr repo mikedep333/nx-libs-3.6)
> _______________________________________________
> x2go-dev mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://lists.x2go.org/listinfo/x2go-dev

---

From: Mike Gabriel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2017 08:47:46 +0000

Hi Mike,

>  (This has nx-libs 3.5.0.32)

this seems to be a duplicate of

https://github.com/ArcticaProject/nx-libs/issues/161

It would be really helpful, if you could test this with a non-X2Go  
based NX session.

How to achieve this:

   1) Adapt to your setup/needs: [1]
   2) Launch VcXsrv on Windows machine
   3) launch nxagent session on Linux server
   4) Launch KDE4 inside the NX session
   5) Launch nxproxy on the windows client as shown by [1]
   6) Test if the same issue occurs as observed with X2Go Client

I seem to remember that there is some Window-size manipulation code in  
X2Go Client somewhere when built on MS Win, so that might be obsolete  
with NX 3.6.

Mike

[1]  
https://github.com/ArcticaProject/nx-libs/blob/3.6.x/testscripts/run-nxproxy2nxagent-over-network
-- 

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM
mike gabriel, herweg 7, 24357 fleckeby
mobile: +49 (1520) 1976 148
landline: +49 (4354) 8390 139

GnuPG Fingerprint: 9BFB AEE8 6C0A A5FF BF22  0782 9AF4 6B30 2577 1B31
mail: [email-masked], http://das-netzwerkteam.de

---

From: Mike DePaulo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2017 09:33:59 -0400

On Mon, May 29, 2017 at 4:47 AM, Mike Gabriel <
[email-masked]> wrote:

>  [...]

> It would be really helpful, if you could test this with a non-X2Go based
> NX session.
>
> How to achieve this:
>
> X2Go Client somewhere when built on MS Win, so that might be obsolete with
> NX 3.6.
>
> Mike
>
>
> [1] https://github.com/ArcticaProject/nx-libs/blob/3.6.x/
> testscripts/run-nxproxy2nxagent-over-network

Hi Mike#1,

I tried that, however.

1. After I do the following and wait several seconds:
a. Run the script on the server
b. export DISPLAY=:9
c. startkde
nxagent is no longer running, and I get the message "$DISPLAY is not set or
cannot connect to the X server."

2. The client errors with:
Error: Please specify either the -C or -S option.
Session: Session terminated at 'Mon May 29 09:26:34 2017'.

wrt to #2:
a. I tried running `export NX_HOST` 1st.
b. I created /home/ad.depaulo.org/mike/.nx/S-9/
c. /home/ad.depaulo.org/mike/.nx/S-9/options contains:
nx/nx,keybd=1,samba=0,cups=0,connect=tcp:192.168.1.25:4009
,cookie=123efa980d2cba234ef6f73deac810ff,errors=/home/
ad.depaulo.org/mike/.nx/S-9/session:9
d. The command is:
nxproxy -S nx/nx,options=/home/ad.depaulo.org/mike/.nx/S-9/options:9
2>>/home/ad.depaulo.org/mike/.nx/S-9/session

-Mike#2

---

From: Mike Gabriel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2017 19:55:15 +0000

Hi Mike#2,

> cannot connect to the X server."

What happens to the agent process? A session.log file should be  
created under $HOME/.nx/ somewhere. Investigate there.

> Session: Session terminated at 'Mon May 29 09:26:34 2017'.

Urgh? The above looks strange. As shown by you below, you definitely  
gave -S on the nxproxy cmdline. This is strange. Any idea why that  
happens? Could you try a Linux-Linux server-client test setup first?  
Same observations there?

> 2>>/home/ad.depaulo.org/mike/.nx/S-9/session

Make sure that no firewall rules obstruct your way!

Greets,
Mike#1

-- 

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM