Subject: Re: SSH daemon could not be started

From: Gromit <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2018 13:55:07 +0100

Had this same problem under Windows 10.

Started x2goclient.debug --debug and it showed me that the
permissions for the ssh_host_rsa_key are too open (0770).

Installed cygwin to check these permissions under windows and the user- 
and groupname where the same username. The rights where 700. Somehow the 
rights for the group where inherited from the user when they have the 
same owner/group-name.

Fixed it by changing the group for ssh_host_rsa_key from the username to 
'Users' under cygwin.

Guido

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2018 11:50:31 +0100

On Mon, 29 Jan 2018 13:55:07 +0100
Gromit <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Installed cygwin to check these permissions under windows and the
> user- and groupname where the same username. The rights where 700.
> Somehow the rights for the group where inherited from the user when
> they have the same owner/group-name.
> 
> Fixed it by changing the group for ssh_host_rsa_key from the username
> to 'Users' under cygwin.

Thanks so much for this workaround!

I can confirm that I am experiencing the exact same issue on all the
Windows 10 installations at work, and that the workaround is working.

---

From: Mihai Moldovan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2018 03:56:08 +0100

> Fixed it by changing the group for ssh_host_rsa_key from the username to 

Yes, that's very unfortunate. As far as I could find out, that's a known bug (or
feature, or whatever) in Cygwin.

Sadly, I have no idea how to fix that without telling users to install chmod,
cygwin bash and fixing permissions manually. That's certainly not the best way
to deal with that wide-spread issue.

Mihai