Subject: Bug#1132: [X2Go-Dev] Bug#1132: Color issue with x2go not present in NX with certain applications

From: Stefan Baur <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2017 17:49:40 +0100

Hi, Brian!

First of all, welcome to X2Go!  You're actually the third NASA employee
hitting our list (the other two were from JSC-EG311 and JPL-392K).
Sorry, that doesn't mean you've won a prize. ;-)

Some things I would like to ask you to do/try:

1) Please let us know the name of the software that has these issues
with X2Go; if it is non-free and/or something NASA developed internally,
you might want to get the developers of that software involved as well
so they can talk to ours.
Screenshots would help, too - but please remember to black out
confidential information that might be visible on it.

2) Please try different slider settings and image compression algorithms
in the connection settings.  Maybe it only affects JPG, or only PNG, ...

3) Also, please try running the software with X2Go in single
application/published application mode (IOW, rootless mode) vs.
fullscreen/windowed mode.  This is becahse parts of the screen drawing
process work differently in rootless mode.

4) If you have a chance to run this software along with X2Go in a
separate testing environment, you could try following these steps and
see if it changes anything - but please do not do this on a production
system:
http://wiki.x2go.org/doku.php/doc:howto:nx-libs-betatesting
(Note that at present, this probably only works for Debian-based
distributions, not for Redhat - but if you have a test lab available to
you, you could "ssh -X brian@redhat-test-box" from the Debian box within
the X2Go session.)

5) We'd love to hear how you use or intend to use X2Go, so we can
publish your testimonial on our success stories page in the wiki.
Since you seem to be working with weather satellites, that sounds like a
rather interesting use case for X2Go.

Last, I hope you don't mind that I mention this ...

<shameless plug>
X2Go also has a commercial side, where various companies - including my
own - offer support contracts with guaranteed response times as well as
consultancy and paid-for development work if someone wants to see a bug
fixed or a new feature added in a certain time frame. What makes my
company special is, IMHO:

1) I'm the current X2Go Project/Community Coordinator, so the
development lead and the developers tend to listen to me.
2) As far as I know, we are the only company providing X2Go support that
isn't a one-man-show.
3) We sub-contract other developers from the X2Go community on demand,
so you only have one person you need to talk to - me - and you will only
receive one invoice, even if the task involved several freelance or
part-time X2Go developers.

Our hourly rate for consultancy work and fixing issues outside of a
support contract is 110 EUR. With a support contract, you get guaranteed
response times (starting at 400 EUR/month for 24h response time during
business hours in the CET/CEST time zone from Monday to Friday, German
holidays excluded) and lower hourly rates if you buy a certain amount of
hours in advance.
</shameless plug>

Kind Regards,
Stefan Baur

Am 09.01.2017 um 15:13 schrieb Town, Brian A. (GSFC-428.0)[Embedded
Flight Systems, Inc]:
> Package: x2goclient
> 
> Version: 4.0.5.2
> 
>  
> 
> Connecting to remote RHEL system using x2go has color issues with
> certain panels of an application on that system. When connecting via
> NoMachine the panels show up as they should, black background, white
> text. However with x2go the panel shows up as a grey background with
> black text, and some text are just black boxes (the major issue is the
> black boxes obscuring text).
> 
>  
> 
> I noticed a bug along these lines from back in 2013 (#262 )
> (http://bugs.x2go.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=262)
> 
>  
> 
> Brian Town
> 
> Landsat 8
> 
> Goddard Space Flight Center
> 
> sig
> 
>  
> 
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> x2go-dev mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://lists.x2go.org/listinfo/x2go-dev
> 

-- 
BAUR-ITCS UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
Geschäftsführer: Stefan Baur
Eichenäckerweg 10, 89081 Ulm | Registergericht Ulm, HRB 724364
Fon/Fax 0731 40 34 66-36/-35 | USt-IdNr.: DE268653243