Subject: Remote printing not working in Debian Jessie

From: JR <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2016 20:41:46 +0100

Package: cups-x2go
Version: 3.0.1.3-0x2go1+git20161129.135+8.main.1

I tried printing on the local PC from the x2goclient without success.
x2goclient gives no message.

I installed x2goserver-printing,  cups, cups-x2go and I  have installed x2go virtual printer. 

This happens to me only in Q4OS 1.18-Orion (Debian Jessie based). In Q4OS 2.2-Scorpion (Debian Stretch based) it works perfectly.

For more details, please give a look at:

http://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1261

Thank you and congratulations for your work.

JR

---

From: Stefan Baur <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2016 19:48:37 +0100

> http://www.q4os.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1261

I followed that thread and the reason why you can't print at all is
SystemD-related, not X2Go-related.  For various reasons, I don't think
too highly of SystemD, and I strongy doubt that we'll add a patch to
X2Go to fix something that is actually SystemD's fault.

Now, why you still can't print from Windows XP after applying that
configuration change, that's another issue, and one that will have to be
investigated.

Please check that the settings under Options/Settings/Printing match
between your Linux client (where remote printing works after applying
the fix) and your Windows client for your initial test.

After that, please try changing the Windows client setting to "View as
PDF" instead of printing directly.  If that doesn't work, either, then
you're either missing a default PDF viewing/printing application (you
can try SumatraPDF if you don't want something as bloated as Adobe
Reader) on the client, or there's something wrong in getting the data
processed.

For that, I would suggest running the debug version of X2GoClient.exe
and logging its output to a file, then attaching that file to the bug
report by e-mailing it to: [email-masked]

Kind Regards,
Stefan Baur

-- 
BAUR-ITCS UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
Geschäftsführer: Stefan Baur
Eichenäckerweg 10, 89081 Ulm | Registergericht Ulm, HRB 724364
Fon/Fax 0731 40 34 66-36/-35 | USt-IdNr.: DE268653243

---

From: JR <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2016 12:00:10 +0100

Hi Stefan,

I tried the options discussed without success.
It is strange, perhaps this Windows XP has a problem.
So I can I will test different scenarios and I will notify the results.

Thank you very much.

Kind Regards,

JR

On Mon, 19 Dec 2016 19:48:37 +0100

---

From: Stefan Baur <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2016 12:30:10 +0100

> So I can I will test different scenarios and I will notify the results.

You might want to verify that a PDF viewer like Adobe Reader or
SumatraPDF is installed on the XP machine and is set as the default
handler for PDF files.

You could also try this in X2GoClient: under "Print", specify a Print
Command instead of selecting a printer:
C:\Path\to\sumatrapdf\sumatrapdf.exe -print-dialog -exit-on-print

(Of course, you need to install SumatraPDF first.)

Kind Regards,
Stefan Baur

---

From: Chris <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2016 12:30:56 +0100

Hi JR,

have you read:
http://bugs.x2go.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=694

That buf has been there since 2014. Nobody cares.
It might be your problem.

BR
Chris

Am 21.12.2016 um 12:00 schrieb JR:
> _______________________________________________
> x2go-dev mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://lists.x2go.org/listinfo/x2go-dev

---

From: "Sebastian T." <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2016 18:21:45 +0100

or a lack of reverse tunnel can also cause printing issue as I reported here 
http://bugs.x2go.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1105

fix is already committed but not yet in release.

Dnia środa, 21 grudnia 2016 12:30:56 CET Chris pisze:
> >>> This happens to me only in Q4OS 1.18-Orion (Debian Jessie based). In
> >>> Q4OS 2.2-Scorpion (Debian Stretch based) it works perfectly.
> >>>

---

From: Chris <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2016 19:17:49 +0100

In case it is a standard jessie cups installation without the workaround I 
described in bug 694, then it just cannot work!
Cups remounts /tmp!

BR
Chris

---

From: JR <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2016 17:27:26 +0100

Chris, I've seen. This workaround about bug 694 allows print remotely from linux.

Sebastian, really in my tests from Windows 10 and 8.1 I was suffering bug 1105.

I've done some testing and it seems that the problem to print remotely from Windows is x2goclient version 4.0.5.2. With older versions I believe that I have not experienced this problem. With nightly version 4.0.5.3 remote printing from Windows (XP / 8.1) works perfectly for me.

Thank you very much to all for your help.

JR

On Wed, 21 Dec 2016 19:17:49 +0100