Subject: Re: x2goclient Doesn't Use libssh Config File

From: Mihai Moldovan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2017 11:22:33 +0100

On 02.12.2016 07:27 PM, Matthew Rubenstein wrote:
> 	The Session preferences dialog's Connection tab could expose a
> file open dialog to select a config file. That file open dialog could
> default to the user's .ssh directory, or else to the directory
> specified in the Session tab's "Use RSA/DSA key [...]" value if any.

I didn't implement this part, though. Could do it, but then what would be the
right place for it? General preferences, so that you can define it globally?
Per-session? Would mean passing this option around all the time, though.

I think we're fine with just parsing the default config file for now.

If really strictly needed, I can always implement a setting for this later. For
now let's keep it like this - at least we *have* config file parsing now.

I think I should explain some nifty features, though.

For a specific shortname, you can set the Host, User and Port parameters in the
config file as well. I implemented support for that as well, but it's a bit
non-obvious to use.

For using the address specified in the config file, simply supply the shortname
in the session's host field.

Likewise, to make X2Go Client use the user name specified in the ssh client
config file, leave the username field in the session config EMPTY. (Note that
this a bit tricky, because if your ssh client config does NOT specify a user
name for this shortname and you leave the field empty, X2Go Client will instead
connect with the username you are currently logged in on your local machine.)

To use the port specified in the ssh client config file for the specified
shortname, set a port number of 0 in the session config. (Note: also tricky,
because if you didn't set a proper port in the ssh client config file but 0 as
the port number in the session config, libssh will use the default port - 22.)

All this works for both a direct connection and an SSH-proxied connection.

Mihai