Subject: Re: [X2Go-Dev] Bug#1109: Print all In new window Long delays (i.e. several minutes) waiting for redraw ONLY in seamless window mode

From: Aki Ketolainen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2016 11:38:55 +0200

On 2016-10-27 21:37, Thomas Esposito wrote:

 > Package: x2goserver
 > Version: 4.0.1.19-3
 > Severity: critical
> 
>  Server OS: RHEL6.6
>  Client OS: Windows 7 SP1 64-bit
>  Server Packages: x2goserver-4.0.1.19-3.el6.x86_64
>                             x2goagent-3.5.0.32-3.el6.x86_64
>                             nxagent-3.5.0.31-1.el6.x86_64 (not sure if this is a dependency)
>                              nx-libs-3.5.0.31-1.el6.x86_64 (not sure if this is a dependency)
> Client Version: 4.0.5.2
>
> <cut>
>
> Luckily, I was able to find a free application that is similarly unresponsive when starting up in seamless window mode, but that runs fine in virtual desktop mode: xcircuit. This happens to be a free CAD program for drawing circuit schematics. Obviously, I can't be 100% that this X11 application is failing in the same way as my proprietary EDA tools, but it is something the x2go developers can look at regardless.
>
> http://opencircuitdesign.com/xcircuit/
>
>  <cut> 

Hi, 

I'm experiencing the same effect than you, but the software applications
and operating systems are a bit different.
In my case the slow window redraws happen if:

The client operating system is Ubuntu Linux and the local desktop
environment is either Unity,  XFCE or Mate.
If I'm running Ubuntu Linux on the client machine and the local desktop
environment is either KDE or LXDE, I don't experience the slow window
updates.
I'm running the X2Go server on Azure and it's running CentOS 6.8. The
desktop environment on the server is XFCE.

As you also noticed, the slow window updates only happen with the single
application mode/seamless window mode. 

I haven't tested much with Windows on the client side but the same slow
window updates that you can see just by moving terminal windows on top
of each other is not there
(when you first open one terminal with single application mode and then
open another terminal from the first).

I installed xcircuit on the X2Go server and it starts up and works quite
ok, although I don't have any design file to test with.
We are working on the same EDA field so I'm interested in finding a
solution to this problem.

Bug reports talking about the slow window updates:
http://bugs.x2go.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1010
http://bugs.x2go.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1081

Best regards, 

Aki