Subject: XSession-x2go: Hostname not set correctly

From: Benjamin Shadwick <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2016 07:28:29 -0700

Package: x2goserver-xsession
Version 4.1.0.0-0~1355~ubuntu16.04.1

When trying to start an LXDE x2go session on an Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS x64
server via a Windows client, I get a black screen with a white dialog
saying "XSession-x2go: Hostname not set correctly; aborting."

Debug logging doesn't have much more detail:

Aug 13 07:20:55 shodan /usr/bin/x2gocmdexitmessage: command output
starts with: exec startlxde Loading profile from /etc/profile Loading
profile from /home/ben/.profile XSession-x2go: Hostname not set
correctly; aborting.

---

From: Mihai Moldovan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2016 19:12:51 +0200

Control: tag -1 moreinfo

> profile from /home/ben/.profile XSession-x2go: Hostname not set

Hey, that was quick. I only made that change yesterday.

As the error message says, your system's host name (as returned by the
hostname(1) shell utility) is not set correctly. What is its value?

An empty hostname ("") or a hostnames with the values "(none)" or "localhost"
are all considered to be invalid.

While I could consider "localhost" to be a valid hostname to some degree, it's
not unique enough so that, if the home dir is shared via NFS and multiple
machines with the hostname "localhost" access it, the log/error file (which
is now supposed to be unique per machine) wouldn't be really per-machine anymore.

Would including the "banned" hostnames be more informative to the user?

Mihai