Subject: Re: RfC: Bug #1058

From: Stefan Baur <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2016 20:49:46 +0200

Hi Alex,

sorry for the late reply.

I assume you are referring to this change:
http://code.x2go.org/gitweb?p=x2goclient.git;a=commit;h=80f9632dab86d3218bfab703888a14c64e477c82
which is titled: add "--no-autoresume" parameter.

Sadly, this fixes only 50-33% of the issues we are seeing, and for which
we have paying customers/sponsors.

Situation 1:
A connection should always spawn a new session.
Cleanup of hung sessions is taken care of by regular reboots.

Situation 2:
A connection should always show the reconnect dialog when there is at
least one running or suspended session by the same user.
This is what your patch does, if I understand you correctly.

Situation 3:
A connection should always reconnect immediately if there is exactly one
suspended session.

Also, I am seeing a different behavior in reality than what the specs say.

My understanding is that Situation 3 should be the default (i.e. before
you added --no-autoresume) - BUT - it never works for me in my personal
setup (Windows 7 x64, X2GoClient 4.0.5.1-2016.06.05 or alternatively
x2goclient-4.0.5.2-2016.05.18, Debian stable, X2Go stable on the host,
Published Application Mode).

When my connection fails (which it occasionally does - flaky router, I
guess), I am always seeing the reconnect dialog, with my session in
suspended state, and I have to select it manually.  All this while I
have exactly one session.
In addition to that, I am occasionally  receiving a message that the
remote proxy closed the connection, possibly due to wrong credentials,
then on the second attempt, the reconnect works.  I'm using Pageant as
an SSH agent, not password auth, so it is impossible that I mistyped a
password.
There are other machines where this works flawlessly, though, so I am
confused as to what makes the client change its mind here.  Maybe you
are treating published applications differently than full
screen/windowed desktops?

In any case, if this is happening to me, it is probably happening to
other users as well, and thus creating the impression that the behavior
is non-deterministic.  So, we should fix it.  The question remains: How?

Kind Regards,
Stefan

Am 17.07.2016 um 15:07 schrieb Oleksandr Shneyder:
> There is a command line argument to change this behavior. I added it several weeks ago. 
> 
> Am 17. Juli 2016 12:34:30 MESZ, schrieb Stefan Baur <[email-masked]>:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> we're planning a change to X2GoClient that might impact existing users.
>>
>> As we haven't received any feedback from you when it was posted to the
>> Bugtracker and X2Go-Dev, I'm pinging you directly and asking for
>> comments (via BTS only, please - the reply-to header of this mail is
>> already pointing to it).
>>
>> See: http://bugs.x2go.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1058
>>
>> Kind Regards,
>> Stefan Baur
> 
> --
> ----------------------------------------------------------
> Oleksandr Shneyder       | Email: [email-masked]
> phoca GmbH               | Tel. : 0911 - 14870374 0
> Harzstr. 4               | Fax. : 0911 - 14870374 9
> D-90491 Nürnberg         | Mobil: 0163 - 49 64 461
> 
> Geschäftsführung:
> Dipl.-Inf. Oleksandr Shneyder
> 
> Amtsgericht München      | http://www.phoca-gmbh.de
> HRB 196 658              | http://www.x2go.org
> USt-IdNr.: DE281977973
> 

-- 
BAUR-ITCS UG (haftungsbeschränkt)
Geschäftsführer: Stefan Baur
Eichenäckerweg 10, 89081 Ulm | Registergericht Ulm, HRB 724364
Fon/Fax 0731 40 34 66-36/-35 | USt-IdNr.: DE268653243