Subject: Bug#1019: xcodemap is missing on OS X 10.11

From: Sebastian Fey <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2016 13:45:16 +0200

Package: x2go OS X client
Version: 4.0.5.1

After starting the x2go client, opening a connection and logging in, the 
client reports a missing "xmodmap" binary. The error message is attached 
at the bottom.

The xmodmap binary on my system is located in "/opt/X11/bin/xmodmap". 
The directory path was added to the $PATH variable, but unfortunately 
the client doesn't seem to read the $PATH variable. Due to the new "SIP" 
feature in the new OS X one is not allowed to write to the folders in 
which the client is looking for the binary (even with root privileges).

I'm running OS X 10.11.4 and XQuartz 2.7.8 (xorg-server 1.16.4).

Error message:

"xmodmap failed to start.

This likely means the binary is not available. The current search path 
is: /usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin X2Go Client will now terminate. File a 
bug report as outlined on the bugs wiki page 
<http://wiki.x2go.org/doku.php/wiki:bugs>."

---

From: Mihai Moldovan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2016 05:44:56 +0200

On 05.04.2016 01:45 PM, Sebastian Fey wrote:
> After starting the x2go client, opening a connection and logging in, the client
> reports a missing "xmodmap" binary. The error message is attached at the bottom.
> 
> The xmodmap binary on my system is located in "/opt/X11/bin/xmodmap". The
> directory path was added to the $PATH variable, but unfortunately the client
> doesn't seem to read the $PATH variable. Due to the new "SIP" feature in the new
> OS X one is not allowed to write to the folders in which the client is looking
> for the binary (even with root privileges).
> 

That error was caused by me. SIP has nothing to do with it, we don't write to
arbitrary system directories. :)

I'll write up a fix and probably re-release the binaries, because this is a
pretty huge deal-breaker on OS X.

My apologies to all who ran into this issue.

Mihai