Subject: Re: CVE backports incomplete or wrong
From: Ulrich Sibiller <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 21 May 2015 08:43:37 +0200

Package: nx-libs

Recently a lot of CVE fixes have been added to nx-libs.

E.g.
debian/patches/1027-render-check-request-size-before-reading-it-CVE.full.patch
and
debian/patches/1028-render-unvalidated-lengths-in-Render-extn.-swap.full.patch
add missing checks to nx-X11/programs/Xserver/render/render.c.

However, there's a file called
nx-X11/programs/Xserver/hw/nxagent/NXrender.c which is derived from
render.c and in that file those checks are missing, too.

(I suspect the original render/render.c is not used at all in favour
of hw/nxagent/NXrender.c but I am not 100% sure here.)

If render.c is used a all (I am not sure) the patches should be
extended to also fix NXrender.c.
If render.c is not used it should be removed and the patches should be
applied to NXrender.c instead.

There might be more cases like this, I only picked this one as an example.