Subject: Re: [X2Go-Dev] 'Xset: Unable to open display' prevents connection
From: Mihai Moldovan <[email-masked]>
To: Sandro <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2016 15:55:23 +0100

Control: close -1
Control: tag -1 not-a-bug

On 20.09.2016 01:29 AM, Sandro wrote:
> Connection failed. xset: unable to open display "" 
> http://i.imgur.com/Z6yQb4R.png
> 
> This sounds like one of those xorg errors you get when doing x stuff while not
> logged into a virtual terminal, but in the case of x2go, I use the magic but
> don't know how it works, so I have no idea where to start looking.

You very likely call "xset" in your shell startup scripts. Newer X2Go Client
versions started calling bash as a login shell, which implies executing scripts
like ~/.profile, ~/.bash_profile, ~/.bashrc and the like. If you have anything
in there that outputs to stderr, X2Go Client will abort the connection.

Because the first connection logically won't have a valid DISPLAY variable set -
after all, the client has to spawn x2goagent first - the "xset" call will fail
and the session terminate abnormally.

Please fix your shell startup scripts.

Marking this bug as not-a-bug and closing.

> Client machine:
>     Linux Mint 18 (AKA Ubuntu 16.04)
>     x2goclient 4.0.5.1-1
>     pyhoca-gui 0.5.0.4-1*
>     pyhoca-cli 0.5.0.2-1*
> Server:
>     Debian Testing
>     x2go-server 4.0.1.19-0x2go2+git20160621.1064+stretch.main.1
>     x2goserver-xsession 4.0.1.19-0x2go2+git20160621.1064+stretch.main.1
>     nxagent 2:3.5.0.32-0x2go1+git20160614.734+stretch.main.1
> 
> *) Never heard of there. I don't think I ever installed them. I figured I didn't
> have them installed before so I installed them now. Didn't fix my problem though.

PyHoca is another client for X2Go, like X2Go Client. You don't need it, but
chances are you wouldn't have hit that problem with it because it connects and
executes commands differently than X2Go Client.

Mihai